According to the schematics, those two double pots on the front panel are
merely voltage dividers. They provide 0 to 5v signals to the front panel MCU
which controls the function, eg: AF_GAIN. It’s possible the pot has developed a
dropout right at the point where you usually set the AF level. Maybe turning
the pot stop to stop a half dozen times will improve it??  Worth a try.

73,
Brian, K0DTJ