In my experience all these sleuthing techniques beyond looking at the
sending address are largely a waste of time and money unless you have the
ability to pursue the originating entity. My magic is the delete option

*** That's what I mostly do too. Sometimes, I call my little boy to show him. He's 10 years old, and will surely be getting his own email soon, and he needs
to know how to recognize this stuff.

Speaking of pictures - my mailer has a setting to disable showing them inside emails. It can be selectively enabled for specific addresses. The reason for this is that when you see a picture inside an email, it's often a link. Your mailer reads the link and automatically goes & gets the picture....from the spammer's server. Which gives the
spammer a fair amount of information about your machine & environment.

                       - Jerry, KF6VB