Supported myself during college at the local TV station ... very late 1950's. Station was on a ridge, we got lots of lightning strikes on our tower. The grounding ["earthing"] of the entire station was super extensive. We still occasionally lost equipment, mostly the smaller uwave equipment outside, despite the grounding.  Direct lightning strikes are so intense and large.  Lightning is also an RF event.  What happens in a near but safe place can create very large currents in nearby conductors.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County