Mike,
Although conditions can be rough here at the bottom of the solar cycle, you'll
almost always be able to work someone, even from deep canyons such as Bright
Angel Canyon at the campground. And often you'll find that the horizon is
actually that high, from places like the Tonto Plateau and the other terraces
that trails and routes tend to follow. Since it sounds like you're hiking the
Kaibab-Bright Angel Trails or some variation, you could try operating at
lunchtime or another time during the hiking day when you're more in the open
than at night camp. (If you care to tell me your plans I can be more
specific.)

Most of the South Kaibab Trail is on a ridge where you would have low horizons
in all directions except south. At Indian Gardens on the Bright Angel, you
have a fairly low horizon to the northwest through northeast. And on the
North Kaibab south of Cottonwood Camp you would have a low horizon to the
south and southwest.

Since the Canyon is to large and complex, it's more like hiking in big
mountains than in a single, deep canyon. Although there are places...

72 and have fun on your trip,
Bruce
N7CEE