Well, I was considering the matter and I would like to add my two cents.
Europe is becoming VERY conscious of the environmental problem, mostly
because the environment-related arguments, especially if presented in a
certain, emotional way are taking quick roots among the citizens, and that
pays good dividends at the election day.
As a matter of fact, I can point you the example of the total ban about
hunting bucks, deer and wild boars in effect on the hills around my
hometown. As a result, in a few years we got several people hospitalized
because of wild boars, car crashes due to bucks, and a total devastation of
the forest, since the bucks and wild boars have eaten all the gems and
offshoots for five solid years in a row. Now, to the desperation of the
"greens", the local government has decided to start an emergency hunting
effort, reducing the population by about 5000 wild boars and 1200 bucks in
our county alone.

What does it matters to the ROHS? Well, consider that in your car there are
probably 30 grams of lead due to the Pcboards in your car stereo, and maybe
20 kilos of lead due to the battery. And if you buy an hybrid car, then you
will have maybe 200 kilos of lead, cadmium, and what else you name in heavy
metals; but thanks to the ROHS you will have been spared the 30 grams in
your stereo....

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Paolo