Hello all:

I had disassembled my previously operational KX1 (SN854) in anticipation of
adding the KXB3080 option.  However I realized that it would be some time
before I could get around to it, and I felt like operating.  So I put it
back together, powered it up, and released the smoke. Examination showed
that a short section of V+ PCB trace just after the power switch had
vaporized. PCB traces make excellent fusible links. I measured the
resistance to ground from the far end of the trace.  It was 1025 Ohms.  By
now I had a pretty good idea what was going on. I repaired the trace, and
measured the same resistance at the power connector. So far so good.  I
powered it up outside of the case and all is well.  Now I'm real sure what's
going on.  I reassembled it into the case, and measured the resistance at
the power connector; 0.4 Ohms. Q6 was shorted to the case. I backed off the
screw for Q6 1/8 of a turn and the short goes away.  I examined the plastic
spacer and it does not seem deformed.  The insulating pad also seems fine.
I did not torque the screw to 20 foot pounds. I don't know what to do next.
All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul N8NOV

Houston