On Aug 10, 2006, at 7:32 AM, Richard haendel wrote:

I am wondering if anyone has modified their K2 to transmit RTTY using FSK, not AFSK. It seems that if XIT were used somehow, I could get the 170 Hz shift by feeding the K2's pseudo"RS232" connector from my lap top computer com port. I do not want to feed audio into the mike connector for AFSK. It seems that there is more RTTY distortion and difficulty in lining up the transmit carrier with the incoming receive RTTY signal that way.

I have been using my K2/100 with AFSK RTTY using both CocoaModem and MMTTY with no problems.

I took some time to carefully adjust the audio levels. I used a second receiver to listen to adjacent frequencies and adjust for minimum products. The key is to avoid putting too much audio signal into the microphone connector -- it is really easy to overdrive most transceivers.

I have not had difficulty lining up the receive and transmit signals. However, if I am calling CQ, it is common for the responders to be slightly off-frequency. I use the RIT and quickly tune them in.

My only beef with the K2/100 is the lack of a 100% duty-cycle PA. With the stock K2/100, you can only run about 25-30 watts out in a contest. I've added an external fan for cooling, and have successfully run 50 watts out for long periods. (You can use the full 100 watts, but only briefly, as the amplifier heat sink will heat up very rapidly)

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901