-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:32 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Elecraft List
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] Hearing CW - Fundamental Keying Waveform?

Darrell,

That has ben dropped from the more recent handbook (does not appear in my
2005 edition). I am going 'out on a limb' here by saying that this stems
from the concept that 'some keyclicks are good' philosophy.  Sidebands on a
CW signal are the result of the keying shape, and there is more to it than
just the rise and fall times - there is the rounding at the corners to
consider too.

I have heard many an operator state that 'hard keying' will get you through
a pile-up better.  While that may be true, it certainly is not 'neighborly'.

I am glad to see that this statement does not appear in the more recent
handbooks.

73,
Don W3FPR