Hi
I am constructing a K2, serial #5669 and having a problem. Input voltage 13.2 VDC

Alignment test Part II    Page 60 manual

4 Mhz Osc Cal  worked fine.  freq was 12098.81

PLL Ref Osc Range Test

Also OK  Ref high freq  12098.78   ref low freq 12084.95   range 13.83

VCO Test          Here I have problems.

If I use the frequency counter probe connected to P6 and TP3 before using CAL FCTR as described in step 6, right column page 60, I get a zero reading although the reading from to to time switches between 0 and .08. If I remove the probe from TP3 and reconnect to TP 3 get a reading of around 28 Mhz which rapidly changes down to 00000.06. If I was reading voltage I would tempted to suspect a discharging capacitor which I was measuring.

I did the following:

Checked solder joints and proper location, value of, capacitors 30, 71, 72, 73, and 74. D 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, and 26 L30 (reheated the connection of L30) Installation of T5 (toroid was constructed by Mychael Morovich ) spacing of wire appears to be correct Checked the wires for T5. Zero Ohm between point 3 and 4 also zero ohm points 1 and 2. Measured resistance between 2 and 4 as well as 1 and 3. Both readings give 334.9 ohm, T5 mounted on circuit board as described in manual.

VCO alignment

I went ahead and checked the VCO alignment. When reading the voltage between ground and left sided of R30 I get a voltage reading of 8 VDC. When I turn the slug of L30, nothing happens the voltage does not change.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do the elevate the problem?

  Your help is very much appreciated.

Have a nice day, 73's Hank WA9QJH