CW - Different learning methods for different situations

My call: WA4MQW
Ham license Novice Class/Conditional Class 1963 - Memorized "dots and
dashes" visually then upon hearing code would play a mental matching
game to match the letters and then write the results down.  Very
difficult time at first but within about 3 months was able to pass the
13 wpm code test for the upgrade.

63 -69 code speed  slowly got up to about 15-18WPM

1970 entered US Army Security Agency and was sent to code school.
Had to relearn using their method.  All copy was done with a typewriter
(keyboard to the younger ones).   Think everyone had to already know
how to touch type (i.e. no looking at the keys).  First week was spent
learning to recognize the sounds of each letter in morse code and
learning to make our fingers respond automatically to that sound so
that in a short time we were no longer trying to mentally think of what
character was being sent.  This process increased our speed
dramatically. Think that in some ways my prior cw experience made it
harder at first as I had to stop trying to think of what character I
was going to type but quickly adapt to using the "Army way".

70 to 73   Copied code 8 to 12 hours a day when on duty depending on
our work schedule.  During this time most all of the operators could
easily copy 24 to 26WPM almost without error.  As one previous poster
said about their Navy experience, we for the most part never understood
the messages we were copying since they were coded groups.  The whole
cw copying process became so automatic that we even have light
conversations with others standing around us while copying the fast cw
and I frequently daydreamed.  At times I felt like I was in some kind
of trance and was removed mentally from what I was doing with my hands.
 Weird but true.

73 - present:    All CW work has been on the ham bands and even though
I personally have copied 100% at over 40WPM using the keyboard or what
was know in the trade as the "mill".  My code learning method had to
change again so that I could actually give intelligent responses during
a QSO.  At first I just wanted to use a typewriter but that meant that
at the end of the transmission from the other station I would have to
quickly read all that was sent and formulate a normal reply.  This was
hard to do so I went back to trying to think of the letters as I was
copying them and write it all down.  I was not very good at higher
speeds using this method at first.  Now, after all these years, I just
try to copy all the code in my head and only write down key items
during a qso and this works for me up to about 25 -28WPM which is
really my top end for good copy and retention.

OK, guess I should have told all this to a shrink but it is the truth.

Got to go to theorpy and start building my  Elecraft KXB-3080 to expand
my newly completed KX1.

73

Bob

WA4MQW