[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Silk purse from a sow's ear?

First of all, I want to thank the several people who have helped by sending me scans of the Argonaut 515 schematics or who have offered to copy the manual. I really am overwhelmed by the kindness of K6VNL, K0EVZ, K4ZM, W2XS, and others.

I don't think the 515 is exactly a sow's ear. It is a single-conversion design, like the K2, and Tentec abandoned the mickey-mouse practice of multiplying the VFO output that they had used in the 509 in favor of a pre-mix scheme to provide the injection frequencies. The 9 MHz IF came with a 4-pole filter, which was probably a poor choice. Some owners replaced it with the better 8-pole filter from the 540, which has been done to my radio.

My plan is to see what I can learn in the process of evaluating the performance of the receiver in this radio and trying to improve it. The modular construction should be a help in this.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco