One possibility for an "add in" S-meter module would be an AD8307 log amp module paralleling the IF amplifier's input. This will give you an honest 80 to 90 dB linear output (db in, linear output), if you can manage the shielding, and close to 100 dB if you don't mind a bit of non-linearity at the extremes. To avoid loading down the IF amp input, you probably need a isolation amplifier.

And, of course, there's always a concern when mucking about inside the signal chain. The buffer amplifier I offer with my Z90 digital panadapter samples the K2's IF at an earlier point, just after the 2N5109 post-mixer amplifier, but the design could easily be used to sample after the filters. (The Z90 uses an AD8307 log amp detector, so I have some experience with it.)

The log amp's output could then drive an external moving coil meter, or it could be digitized via an ADC and brought out on a RS-232 compatible port for other purposes. Serial output would require an on-board PIC and would have to carefully constructed to avoid introducing unwanted noise into the K2, but an all-analog solution would be simple enough if the output device is to be a D'Arsonval meter movement.

If there's a groundswell of demand for such a beast I will consider it as a future kit offering.

Jack K8ZOA
www.cliftonlaboratories.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account
required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485