Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
> Ron, AC7AC wrote:
>
>> That's the difference between one who tinkers and an engineer <G>.

> I had never thought that there was any difference. 'Develop' is a
> posh word for 'Tinker' is it not? <g>

Depends on what kind of an engineer you are.  :-)  I've always been the
tinkering kind, myself, but mostly because I'm not smart enough to be the
other kind...

I worked for a guy way back in the 1970s (pre-PC days) who would sit down at
a nice clean desk with his HP calculator and an engineering pad and pencil,
and design a complex analog discrete-transistor circuit without once using
the eraser. Then he would write out the voltage, current, frequency
response, and gain figures for the circuit on a second piece of paper. These
he would hand to me to build and test. Always came out dead nuts. Amazing.

But a tinkerer? Man, you did NOT want to let this guy get anywhere near a
soldering iron! Extreme danger to self and others!!

Bill W5WVO