Hello all,

I backpack the AT here in the US and I've always wanted a small,
lightweight HF antenna that won't break the bank. I finally have
designed one that works great for QRP portable use.

I call it the "WA3WSJ Bead-Wire Antenna." It made from bead wire, yes
jewelry bead wire that is used to make bead jewelry! Wall Mart sells it
over here packaged in a 40 foot spool. I even use the spool to store the
antenna. A spool sells for just under $2.00 US.

I take one 40' spool and tie on around 50 feet of 30lb test fishing line
to one end. This is used as my radiator wire. I tie a small loop on the
end of the fishing line. This loop just slips thru a 1oz. sinker and
this is used to throw up into a tree etc.

I also purchase two more spools and cut three 16 foot ground radials
using the bead wire. I now have one 40' radiator wire and three 16'
ground radial wire that I throw out around to operate. I use a BNC to
two binding-post adapter that plugs into the antenna bnc on my Elecraft
KX1. The whole antenna fits on one small spool and weights-in at 2oz!

Parts for the WA3WSJ Bead-Wire Antenna:

$6.00------3ea. 40' bead wire spools @ $2.00 ea.
$3.00------1 set solder less banana jacks Radio Shack # 274-721
$2.00------ large spool of 30lb fishing line

So for around $10 or $11 US dollars you have a very nice compact and
lightweight qrp antenna that will tune on 20m,30m and 40m. I have worked
Europe with this antenna using my KX1 @ 3w on 30m.

ENJOY!

72,
Ed,WA3WSJ