I was finally able to get my K2 (#0061) upgraded to a K2/100 just prior to CQWW this past weekend. The KPA100 was bought in 2004 and sat on a shelf for a year or two.

Anyway, I was doing some A/B checks after completing and testing the unit, while trying to call some stations on 20 meters.

I compared a Yeasu FT-890 to the K2/100.
I noticed there were a few stations that I called and called on the K2, that were then workable in one or two calls after switching over to the FT-890. I did some power checks, and found that in CW mode, the K2 was the same, if not slightly more power (reading on the same meter, same antenna, using an A/B switch)

But on SSB, the voice peaks of the K2 are 25-30% lower than those of the FT-890. I am using dynamic mikes on both radios... on the K2 it's a Yaesu MH-31 Mic. I also used this mic on both radios and noted voice power peaks almost twice that of the K2 (70 w vs 40w). My K2 is set for SSBA of 3, and SSBC of 3-1. My KSB2 firmware is 1.07

I have seen a few references to mods on the KSB2, including swapping resistors to increase mic gain. I have also seen references that they should not be done on K2/100 units.

Are there any internal mic gain mods that can be used on the KSB2 in a K2/100? Is there anything else I can do short of the external mic amp?

I also notice that sometimes I get full power on the first "letter", sometimes it starts lower on "whiskey 1" and bumps up on "papa alpha" -- anyone else seen this on the K2/100?

Bill
W1PA (K2 FT #61)