Thanks again to all who replied.

After popping the top of my ASTRON RS-70M I was not able to find a pot that
would let me adjust the output.  I called Astron and found out that the pot
was R5 on the bottom of the pcb. The good news was that it was easily
adjustable with no danger of shock.  I adjusted the output to 14.2 and found
that I had an across the board gain of .5 watts.

Withe my solid 4 watt output I made my first cw contact with AL on my KX1!

The QSO was with N4RAY, Rodney, a fist member, on 7.058 (of course) on

11/8/06 00620Z, 10:20pm PST.

Coast to Coast on 4 watts!  It made my day.

BTW, with a 14.2 VDC no load output from the ps, the KX1 showed a 14.0 VDC
input when using the BAT function.

I know that many say that the extra .5 watts is negligible but I understand
that to be a function of comparing a station at a fixed distance listening
to your output at x watts and then x + .5 watts.

What about a station that was marginally able to copy before, now that
station could perhaps copy correctly. What about a station a little closer
than the comparison station.  Radio waves are subject to the inverse square
of the distance just like light so a station 1/2 the distance will recieve
four times the signal. That, with the extra .5 watts could easily be
significant.  Also, what about stations that were on the cusp of hearing
you.  The extra .5 watt could be the difference that gives them the
threshold 3db boost they need.

I know one QSO is not definitive, but SF to Alabama is a good start!

Jack Regan, AE6GC