1. I made the first power up and everything went just like the manual.
However, the preamp is marked on. The manual doesn't say which way it
should be and I thought I'd check before I got too much farther.

On mine the preamp was always on even when it did not exist yet.

2. I'm confused about soldering the RF probe. I can't seem to find a good
way to position and solder the RG174 cable ends to the banana plugs.
There's just a slight dimple at the end of the plugs and I can't figure a
good mechanical way to connect them before soldering.

I cheated here. I bought a crimp on BNC for RG/174 and terminated the coax.
I already use a BNC to banana plug adaptor for my voltmeter for other
reasons. This just made the probe compatible with my system. However, this
does make for a solid connection.

Richard Kent WD8AJG K2 5296