The Hakko 808 is a superb tool. If you plan to do a lot of building and especially modifying - it is a worthwhile investment. Saves a lot of wear and tear on the boards and greatly reduces your own stress when attempting to pry loose an IC. It is expensive, but consider your monetary investment in the kits you build and the time you spend building them. I have the Solder Popper as well. It works. But the Hakko is __considerably__ better.

73, Doug -- K0DXV

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
It's the Solder Popper model 12-2157 from GC Tools. It runs in the $36.00
range depending upon retailer.

I've used it on my K2 kit and found by wetting the tip with solder for
good heat transfer the unit seems to work well enough. It maybe doesn't
work quite as well as the Hakko 808 but for the casual builder it should
be sufficient. I was even able to tin toroid leads with it with a little
practice. The unit comes apart easily for cleaning and/or maintenance.

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary.

73 de Ed N0EHQ