John,

How much power is actually being produced?  What does the K2 meter indicate
in TUNE?
What is your power supply voltage under this 4.5 amp load?  If the voltage
drops significantly, the current will go up - the K2 tries to provide the
requested power out, and if the voltage drops, the current must increase.

If you can eliminate power supply voltage drop problems, then you could have
some sort of oscillation present.  The K2 is quite stable if all the
components are correct.  You could start by checking T1, T2 and T4
(especially T4).  The only other thing that I can think of right now are the
components in the base circuit of Q7 and Q8, but I cannot relate to a jump
in current draw if those components were at fault.

Check th evoltage on the base of Q7 and Q8 when transmitting - it should be
0.6 volts or very close.

73,
Don W3FPR