Scott,

The manual says that the frequency should be 12090 +/- 30 kHz - that is a
range between 12060 and 12120 kHz - your 12098.77 does fit within that
range, so all is well at this point.  The fact that your external counter
indicates the same frequency as the K2 internal counter says that your C22
setting is correct and the K2 reference calibration is as accurate as your
external counter (+/- 10 Hz besause the K2 does not indicate the 1's digit).

That step is only a preliminary test, the calibration of the 4 mHz
oscillator is in the step that follows - chose whichever method best fits
the tools that you have available.

If you have no counter or well calibrated receiver - just do as indicated
and set the trimmer to its midpoint.  You can do precise calibartion of the
4 MHz reference oscillator after you have built the entire K2.  For further
information on the steps to accomplish that, check the Elecraft website
Builder's Resourge page or chack out the article on K2 dial calibration at
my website http://w3fpr.qrpradio.com.

73,
Don W3FPR