Dohn,

A power increase during that tuning is normal - just exit TUNE and reenter
TUNE to drop the power back down to 2 watts.  Yes, the power will increase
as you near the peak.  You should do the final peaking wiht the power set to
something low - there is nothing magic about the 2 watts, you can use any
low power - anything between 1 and 2 watts will work nicely.

If you did the bandpass filter peaking on receive first, you should not have
to move the slugs very far when 'fine-tuning' them on transmit.

73,
Don W3FPR