Hi, our clubs K2/100 has the same problem with high curent at full power on 160m, but my own is ok. Has anyone found a cure?

73 Fraser G4BJM

From: John Reiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: J F <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,Elecraft Discussion List <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA100/KAT100 on 160  Hi Current
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:42:56 -0500

Hi Julius,

Both my K2/100s, #4970 and #5570 exhibit excessive current draw on 160 meters, as indicated by the ammeter on my 30 watt Astron PS. It gets up to 27 or 28 amps. I use a 30 amp fuse. In every other respect, my two K2/100's work perfectly. Current draw on all the other bands is less than 20 amps.

I don't have an antenna for 160, so I never transmit on that band anyway, and this is not a big problem for me. Still, being a bit of a perfectionist, it bothers me that it exists.

I mentioned it on the reflector a while ago. Someone said they had the same experience, but had no solution. Someone else suggested that I retune the 80 meter bandpass filter to represent a compromise between 80 and 160. I tried that, but the excessive current draw continued regardless of the bandpass tuning. (Could it be due to the KPA100 going into oscillation at the 160 frequency?)

When I saw your post, I became hopeful that it might evoke a response from someone who had come up with the definitive solution. But so far there hasn't been any.

Good luck and 73,

John, W2GW

----- Original Message ----- From: "J F" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>