On Saturday 09 December 2006 09:55, Mike Harris wrote:

> This has been asked for for years.  Sadly it will fall on totally deaf
> ears at Elecraft.  Not even a hint if it's possible or not.

  This is the problem with proprietary firmware.
Does Elecraft think that someone could make a rival
product if the source code were released?
Any determined capable person could write the firmware
for the K2, or a rival product.

  The original Lego Mindstorms programmable brick was
proprietary closed source firmware. At first, their
lawyers descended on the hackers who were writing
a more capable operating system for it with cease and
desist orders.  But Lego came to realise that they
would sell more hardware if they encouraged independent
development.
  Lego have firmly embraced this concept with the new
Mindstorms brick (NXT) - they have released the firmware
source code. According to their technical FAQ, hackers
have already implemented Lua, Java and C for the NXT.

 I would like the tuning knob to behave like my IC-735,
a variable rate depending on the knob rotation rate.
I don't like the three tuning rates that require one
or two button presses.

  So, how about it Elecraft?
Release the source code - show us the complete design
without the proprietary black box in the middle.
  You might increase your sales of the K2.

Ian, G4ICV, AB2GR, K2 #4962