Getting above the noise is an expression that has worried me for a while.  Some
modes I understand are perfectly happy "in the noise" such as PSK32 and spread
spectrum and would be well-suited to emergency/low power use where battery life
is crucial.

It's a complex subject I know, but I feel speech transmission and reception can
be tweaked for our ears so the signals can live "in the noise" and still be
understood.  Does anyone know of studies on this ?  Can we tweak our K2's &
K1's audio passbands to optimise our ear/intelligibility?

David
G3UNA