Hi all:

Interesting reading.  I sure second K2TA's comments.

Here are some of my experiences and "wisdom" with qrp.

The question, "Who does the work?" demonstrates what I see as a major
issue with most qrpers; they expect to be "weak."  They also assume
that "the other guy" will have a hard time hearing them.  This is just
wrong, at least for me, based on my method of operation.

I never waste time calling and callling and calling.  If I don't get
through after a couple calls, I move on.  I don't waste my time
calling guys who I know are not at peak propagation; if I know they
will be louder "soon," I'll try later.  If I know that I have missed
their peak, I wait for another day.

During a Contest
No contester worth their salt looks at the S meter to figure out who
they will work when calling CQ (aka "running").  The "work" here is
mostly the sender.  Timing is important.  Knowing the CQer is also
important.  If I know that the other guy is (say) I super CW op, I'll
try to sneak my call in at 45wpm between transmission...it usually
works.

As others have alluded, the trick is to be "loud" compared to your
surroundings.  If you are running 500 watts but everybody else in the
pile is running 1500 watts, you won't be loud (all other factors being
the same).  If you are running 5 watts and there are no other callers,
you are, by definition, LOUD and you'll get the qso.  During this
year's ARRL 10m contest, I worked guys that were right down "in the
mud" on the K2.  Every time I worked one, I couldn't believe that they
heard me (of course, that's 10).

RagChew:
This is really up to the CQer and how "lazy" s/he is.  If they are
looking only for S9+++ signals, it really doesn't matter if you are
the only caller or not.  If you are not "loud" in the speaker/phones
(to the caller), they won't call you.  If the CQer just wants a qso,
you're in.  If there is more than one caller, it is typical that the
casual CQer will "pick" the one easier or easiest to copy.

Running QRP is a state of mind for the QRPer only.  The "other guy"
could care less.  If it is a contest, the "other guy" only wants to
get your call in the log.  If it is a rag chew, the other guy only
wants someone to chat with.

CW vs SSB
I've started doing QRP back late 1960's (long before Elecraft and long
before "real" rigs were qrp).  Using mostly cw, I got within one (1)
country of DXCC Honor Roll.  It meant a lot to me, but not to most
others.  In fact, most others simply did not believe me.

One local (AA2U) had been on my case for years to try milliwatting.  I
never thought much of that.  In 1989, with my wife pregnant with (what
would be) my 2nd daughter and being on vacation in July but not
wanting to spend any money (would be needed soon) we stayed home I
player radio for two weeks.  I said to myself that I would try
milliwatting for a couple QSO's just to be able to tell AA2U that I
had tried it.

On the first night, on 20 ssb, around 2 or 3am, I was listening to
some "VK" type accent guy.  It turned out to be an A35 (a long way
away from NJ).  I had the rig tuned to 300 mw and I gave him a call in
the middle of his QSO (ha ha ha, I thought).  He came right back and I
nearly fell out of my chair.  We had a nice 3x qso and he copied me
100%.  Neat.  Over the course of the next two weeks, I ran almost
exclusivly SSB with 300mw.  I didn't quite make DXCC in those 2 weeks
of vacation, but I did make it after 19 days.  Not too shabby!  Of
course, it "meant" something to only me (the other guys didn't care).

If you check your calendar, you'll note that 1989 was the peak year
for that sunspot cycle.  Looking back, I don't think I did anything
special; it was just good timing, the availability of lots of vacation
time, and an understanding wife.

I continued to play milliwatting until I got to around 260 DXCC
countries (over a decade ago) and then I just thought it was silly and
stopped.  Some time later, I think in the CQWW DX test, I worked a
bunch of guys inthe contest using 790 microwatts (11 zones, 17
countries, or something like that).  I didn't call anybody till I was
blue in the face (or fingers, I don't recall the mode), but it was not
a fun way to spend my time during the contest other than to say, "I
did it."  I won't be microwatting again because it wasn't much fun.

So don't worry about calculating db and don't worry about who is doing
the work.  Wait for the right timing and then give it a try.  If it
doesn't work after a couple tries, go away and come back later.  That
is "smart" qrping (and smart operating, period).

The point is, you can do anything qrp if you go about it wisely.  As
the saying goes.....

Just do it!

de Doug KR2Q