Don,

I would believe that hash is coming from devices used around the house (or
your neighbor's).  Ethernet modems and routers, computers, switching power
supplies, wall-wart power supplies, touch lamps, lamp dimmers.

Anything that uses switching technology can produce such hash over a small
frequency range and the range may shift with its load.

You can verify that by killing all the power im your house and running the
K2 on a 12 volt battery for the test.

I hear hash of that nature on the simple antenna that I use at the
workbench, but do not hear it when I use the 'proper' antennas in the
shack - these antennas are located about 100 feet from the house so they do
not pick up  the noise sources.  It also helps that I have a stucco house
where the stucco wire mesh acts as a shield to keep the noise inside - but I
don't dare consider inside antennas either, they too would be shielded.

73,
Don W3FPR