As you may know, the writers generally have no control over the headlines, so blame some assistant editor somewhere you shall remain nameless.

Larry N8LP

Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
I found the headlines totally misleading, but the stuff that sells papers.
Morse Code: A Fading Signal

It may be the ultimate S O S - Morse Code is in distress

An accurate headline would have been:

FCC Ends Morse Code Testing for U.S. Hams

Morse Code Still Popular Throughout International Ham Community

But those heads don't sell papers, especially to the general public audience
of the NY Times.
Other than that, I also found the article nicely done.

Ron (Forget the headline, what's the story?) AC7AC