Here in southern NH, it sounded like some kind of interference. The sound changed as you tuned down the dial, from what sounded like a "tick" that rang (kinda like a Hollywood sonar ping) at 5.000 MHz, to a "boing" down around 4.995 MHz. It's cleared up now. Trust me, if propagation was such that you could have heard it, you wouldn't need to ask what I was hearing.

By the way, I've heard both WWV and WWVH at the same time on the same frequency (though you're not supposed to) and that wasn't the problem.

Weirdest thing I've ever heard there, but let's not dwell on it. This isn't the Weird WWV Sound reflector.

Thanks.

Matthew D. Pitts wrote:
Rick,

What exactly are you hearing? Also, is it possible that you are hearing WWV and WWVH, since they both transmit on the same frequencies?

Rick Hampton wrote:
I was tuning around and noticed something VERY strange with WWV on 5 MHz. Anyone have any clue as to what is happening?