I respectfully disagree with the suggestion below. My recommendation is to complete the KX1 first in order to make sure it's working perfectly. THEN do the 3080 upgrade. If you have problems after installing the upgrade, you will thus know that the error is somewhere in the upgrade work, not the original KX1 work. I also recommend "playing" with the KX1 for a while before doing the 3080 upgrade in order to familiarize yourself with its operation and menus.

I had no problems with either kit other than being shorted a resistor in the RF output mod which Elecraft quickly sent me.

Finally, my opinion only, but a Hakko desoldering gun is the cat's meow for removing components and also removing the enamel from and tinning (at the same time) torroid wires.

73,

Kent   K9ZTV

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

After completing a KX1 kit and I ordered and built the 30/80 adapter.  The
conversion required removal of several capacitors, resistors, toroids, and
a choke that were originally installed on the KX1 board.  If you are
anticipating installation of the adapter, I suggest a careful evaluation
of the assembly manuals to determine which new components will be needed. Installation of these new components during the original construction of
the KX1 would eliminate desoldering and removal of the old components. The
desoldering method that works best for me is to heat and remove the
component.  Then, reheat and quickly blow on the area to clear melted
solder.  Close placement of components on the KX1 board prevents the use
of a solder sucker.