Don,
I misunderstood your question about the 'howl' being present on
transmit, I think. Sorry about that.

I'd checked the choke you mentioned and when the penny dropped,
regarding transmit, I put the rig back together and lo and behold,
it seems to be back to normal. I speculate that a piece of junk got in
somewhere and shorted out something, until I disasembled and put
together the rig again.

I don't know if this is the end of the story, I hope so.
Thanks all. So far so good now.
--
David Dawson VE7HP

People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction
rather than surrender any material part of their advantage.
                -- John Kenneth Galbraith