Larry,

Do you have the internal counter probe connected to TP2?  It MUST be
connected so the internal microprocessor can read the frequency - and that
is the meaning of the message.  It does not refer to an external frequency
counter, but rather the internal one.

You don't have to enable the internal counter in any special way, all you
have to do is plug in the counter cable (unless something is not working
correctly).

73,
Don W3FPR