Kevin Luxford wrote:
The discussion on the RF Choke Question prompts me to observe that not only are component body colours apparently at the whim of the manufacturer, but that some of the body colours chosen seem to make it very hard to read the bands. Is this band yellow or is it orange? Or is it brown? Blue bodied 1% resistors I find especially difficult.

Ever considered that you might be colorblind? :-) Just kidding, but I am a monochromie, although I didn't really know it until I got to college. I'd figured out I was having a hard time distinguishing the color bands on the big molded caps and carbon resistors when I was a teenage ham [they were much bigger then], but everyone (and I) just put it off to bad light.

In the general population, the huge majority of color-challenged folk will be male. Very rare in females. Nearly all hams are male. Go figure, maybe God is not on our side? :-) In a population of males, the vast majority will have some sort of color vision defect, most minor. Most will be an inability to detect differences between two specific colors, or differences between shades of one color [I'm quoting the scientific literature here, I have no idea what this means, of course]. Us monochromies make up maybe 1% of the male population and we have it easy ... the world looks like old monochrome TV programs ... or like the Windows default color scheme only without the color. Since that's all I've ever known, it looks pretty normal to me. OTOH, I can see at night far better than any of you can -- so there!

I truly appreciated the taped resistors for the K2. I measured every one, but I didn't have to hunt for each one. The other color-coded components [not many] were tagged by my wife, who has perfect color vision. The rest had the smallest numbers you can imagine on them, but no colors that mattered.

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw