Dennis,

Yes, your gel-cell will do fine for the testing, but you will want to
consider a power supply at some point.  If you are planning the KPA100, get
one large enough to handle the current - a 20 amp supply is a good choice,
but if you will remain QRP with the K2 a 3 or 4 amp supply will suffice.

Actually, I run my QRP K2 only on the internal battery - a 2.9 AH gell-cell,
but I have a 3 state smartcharger connected directly to the battery
terminals - it works fine for me.  I do have a 35 amp Astron which powers
the external KPA100 and other equipment at the operating position, but the
QRP K2 runs on its own battery.

73,
Don W3FPR