Next hurdle (my apologies for all the questions) - I just finished the "BFO
Test" and found that my BFO low frequency was a touch high (only about .5kHz).
I am assuming this is because I don't have a frequency counter and was unable
to do the internal frequency counter calibration. Would you all concur?

That said, is it reasonable to continue on and leave the calibration to be done
against WWV on-air?

At this point, with an antenna connected, I hear no signals on 40M except the
internally generated signal which I read around 7.000mHz (+/- 1 or 2 kHz).
Switching back to my other rig, I do hear signals so I know the antenna works
and the band's not dead :)

Should I be hearing stuff at this point?

Thanks for bearing with my questions...

-Jeff