Paul:

What you suggest, using a separate ground rod connected only to your antenna tuner, is both unsafe and a violation of the National Electrical Code.

Section 250.50 of the 2005 Code (on page 70-101) states: "All grounding electrodes (read ground rods) that are present at each building or structure served shall be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system."

If two or more ground rods exist and are not connected together (bonded) electrically a lethal voltage can exist between the two in the event of a nearby lightning strike.

73,
Henry. WA2IRQ
Henry W. Ott
Henry Ott Consultants