There was a DDS GC receiver in Elektor Electronics last month. A kit is available but not all parts available.. The price is comparable to a K2... I don't know anything about the quality of the design. I don't remember what followed the DDS but I saw it uses the 612 mixers.

Kit (not from Elektor): http://tinyurl.com/385su6

Magazine: http://tinyurl.com/yoyu5j
The article costs to download but the picture is free to look at.

Leigh/WA5ZNU