Good Evening,
I received the following critique this morning and thought it may be well to answer it publically. This will also help those who have not followed the history of ECN from its inception on June 7th, 2003. I have elided the author's name and callsign to protect his privacy. However, I do wish for input such as this from any of you. Since we started the nets we have evolved our methods a great deal. What you hear now is due to a great number of emails between a number of us. Go to ecn.visionseer.com for some of the notes I've developed over the years. There is an archive of the Elecraft Reflector which can be used to find ECN announcements or reports. Ms. Pat showed me results of a Google search she performed one day. She put in KD5ONS and then checked the box to allow for similiar pages to be displayed. This will allow you to find all of the ECN email listings too.

When I started ECN I was also involved with three NTS traffic nets. As some of you know I have taken traffic during or following the net if I am situated such that I am the strongest station the traffic passing op can hear. One reason we use some of our procedures is because of this traffic net experience. We also use QN codes to help limit some of the exchanges. Since moving from the back room radio shack to a place nearer the woodstove I have not moved all of my cheat sheets. The Q and QN code sheet is one which has not yet made the trip. I will do so now ... done!

We have tried having folks use 'hail' signs and some of you still do so. It is much appreciated since I can copy them more quickly than I can a series of overlapping callsigns. Another technique we tried, a few years ago when the bands were stronger, was to call for QNI by area. i. e. 1, 2, and 3 calls come first. That way we could work east to west to optimize propagation conditions as they changed across the continent. That worked well until propagation worsened due to the deepening sunspot cycle. Now that we have changed the times earlier to allow for folks out east to work ECN we may reinstitute this system.

I have worked stations as they check in because I often receive private email from folks mentioning they do not tune in until 20 or 30 minutes after the hour. Many of you do not copy all of the exchanges awaiting a chance to check in. Since ECN is not a strict traffic net, nor a DX contest, nor even your standard net we work a little differently. I modeled ECN on a net I was familiar with while going to graduate school in New Mexico. This net (Rusty's Raiders Net if you wish provenance) would run from 9 AM until noon on the extensive 2 meter repeater system in New Mexico. It is also like the Noon Time Net. We take check ins as they call and work them in that order. I have worked three in a row but rarely. Often I get two and then work them before I call for the next set. If the net runs for an hour or longer I think I have done a very good job.

Usually I work strongest to weakest stations because it helps me hear the weaker stations if the louder ones are no longer present. I have asked many times for relays or for another operator to act as NCS. Tom, N0SS, is not the sole relay station involved. Many others have been asked and then acted as NCS. If you are strong to me and are in another geographic area I will ask you to run the net. Then you send your check ins and their information back to me. Tom simply lives in a good location to call the folks near where I live (Oregon) whom I cannot work directly. He also is located such that he can work folks east of me better (at times) than I can. I have received help from folks in NM, AZ, CA, TN, CO, and CT to round out the NCS slot. Thank you to all of those operators who assisted us.

Yes, we do get chatty. I repeat myself occasionally because I know some of you do not hear what I've sent to other operators. If I can develop a method of getting your callsign (or better yet a hail sign) the first time things will run more rapidly. There were many times this last Sunday where all I heard was one steady tone; much like a key held down for four or five seconds. I need to break those up into shorter patterns which I can call in sequence. If Tom is running the net and I hear someone who he cannot I break him with a single O (the first character of the suffix of my call). Others of you do send 'hail' signs which are quite helpful. Some of you have such distinctive calls I only need to hear the last two characters to know who you are (AR, YD, SS, BK, etc.)

Please remember: we try to run the net so accomplished operators and novice CW ops can work in the same venue. I keep my keyer set to a maximum of 20 words per minute and increase inter-character spacing if necessary. Tom does increase speed to work faster stations. I normally do not but copy them at their speed. The reason I don't speed things up is so we do not scare off anyone by running so far over their head that they are intimidated. That is NOT what ECN is all about. If it takes longer to work a slower operator so be it; there is always next week. Being friendly, calling folks by name, these are hallmarks of our net. I shall not change that.

I welcome debate on our procedures. We've evolved to this point I have no problem with ongoing change to make ECN better for us all. Please email me privately with your comments or critiques so we do not deluge the Reflector with our comments. Eric suffers our presence gladly; I would like to stay on his good side by keeping our traffic to a minimum :)
   73,
       Kevin.  KD5ONS  (Net Control Operator in Training)