Hi Mark,

The main benefit to FSK seems to be not having to
fiddle with audio levels to and from the computer,
which are constantly being changed depending on what
I'm doing with the computer.  Other than that I don't
think there's any functional difference between FSK
and AFSK.

I went back to the MicroHam website and had a look at
the schematics for the cables they provide for other
transceivers (something I should have thought of
before) and I see that they show a dedicated FSK line
going to a multi-pin plug on some of the Icom cable
sets.  So, I guess the MicroKeyer provides the
capability for FSK on rigs that have FSK inputs like
your '820, but not on the K2.

That is unless they do some fancy tricks on the KIO2
line, which doesn't seem likely.

Thanks for your help!

73 - Ken