Ian,

You are correct about the NE/SA602/612 mixer - it generally performs well,
but is not the ultimate.  Its biggest drawback IMHO is that the performance
suffers in the presence of strong signals such as European SW broadcast
stations.  I have not encountered problem here in North Carolina, but I am
150 miles from the coast, and I would expect those in Europe would have a
lesser opinion of the capabilities of the NE612 mixer.

Check out Wes Hayward's comments at the beginning of The "Western
Mountaineer" article on page 12.7 of Experimental Methods in RF Design.

Like everything else, the Gilbert cell mixer has its limitations.  Diode
ring mixers (as used in the K2) are much better, but require a larger LO
input and are not be as adaptable to a simple front end receiver design.

Compromises, compromises, compromises - that is the name of the game, one
must trade off complexity, cost and performance every step of the way in a
design.  If one wants the ultimate, it will be complex (and likely much
larger than the K1 or even the K2).

73,
Don W3FPR