Dave,

As far as the connections to the mic, yes, you will be 'good to go' if you
use the Kenwood adapter and wire the K2 for the Kenwood configuration..
Whether you will want a preamp or not with that HC5 element is an entirely
different question.  For use with your HC5 element Proset, you might want to
make the changes to the KSB2 board suggested by Jim Brown - Jim is an expert
in the Pro-Audio field and has done a lot with ham radio too, so if Jim
found those changes helpful, I do not boubt his word, in fact I may make
those changes here too just to see what happens.  In any case, you do not
have your K2 completely built yet, so do not modify anything until you
complete the kit and have things up and running.

Of course, there is another alternative if you use only the boom/headset
type mic - the Elecraft Proset-K2 is still available from Elecraft.
I really don't know what happened with the MH2 and MD2 mics - they were good
although I do recall a few complaints about the MH2 which was the handheld
mic (in an impact resistant hard plastic case) - the desk mic (MD2) is a
very nice metal body microphone.  I have both here.  If you can find someone
selling the MH2 or the MD2, you may want to check it out (I am not giving up
mine!).

73,
Don W3FPR