Can anyone explain terminology associated with the DSP unit... 1. soft filtering and standard filtering

Standard has steeper skirt selectivity.

2.      Adjusting the "Beta (aggressiveness)" in the Denoiser
3.      Adjusting the "hold/decay"  time of the filter in Denoiser
4.      The same in the autonotch

See the KDSP2 Manual Glossary pages 45 and 46 for a definition of these terms.

The easiest way to translate these definitions into understanding is to listen to some signals and change the parameter from 99 to 00 and back (just one tap does it). You'll then get a good idea what each parameter does.

5.      I guess I'm unclear what effect the autonotch is having on the
signal in SSB.  It is difficult to detect any difference with it on or off.

If there is no carrier to notch, then it will do very little. Tune in the 4 MHz birdie on the K2 in SSB mode. Then turn the autonotch on and off and you'll hear what it is doing. The, with it turned on, vary a parameter between 00 and 99 and then tune the radio 100 Hz or so and listen to how it cancels the tone. After you tune with all four combinations 00/99, 99/99, 99/00 and 00/00) you should have a pretty good idea what these parameters do.

In general, I leave autonotch on to eliminate annoying carriers while I tune around in SSB mode.

6.      "Denoiser Gain" sttings and there effect.

Leave CW set a 0.0 dB.

Goto SSB and tune in a voice signal. Turn the denoiser on and then adjust the SSB denoiser gain so the voice audio is about the same when you turn the denoiser on and off. 7.0 dB is reasonably close for more normal settings of the Denoiser parameters.

7.      "Filter gain" and balancing the audio gain.

These are present for audio balancing purposes and normally will just be left at 0.0 dB.

DO NOT USE THE FILTER GAIN MENUS TO INCREASE THE OVERALL GAIN OF THE K2! If you do, you may have too much gain with strong signals, especially if the AGC is turned off.

I guess I need an expert in all things DSP.  I just want to understand them
better before tinkering with them.

73,

Lyle KK7P