I am glad Parker asked the question. I have a k2/100 and for PSK have been setting the power level at 25 watts as displayed on the K2 readout. I do have a small blower mounted under a shelf over the K2/100---probably not necessary, but, as we all know, heat is the culprit for reducing MTBF's. Also, why should there be any difference in power out for single tone or a PSK signal? Thanks, Don, for your comments. 73, Lowell, W5FH ----- Original Message ----- From: "Parker Buckley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "W3FPR - Don Wilhelm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:02 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] PSK31 Power Level

Elecrafters,

Don has been coaching me off-list through installation of one of his fixed
audio output kits, which I've had around here for many months, un-built.
All went well, except the audio through my computer was distorted.  I
eventually tracked it down to the K2 DSP gains being set too high.  I was
getting away with that in the basic K2, but the fixed audio unit doesn't
like being pushed that hard. I've now carefully reset the DSP gains to get the same audio level with DSP and with DSP bypassed. Everything is working great. I'm now reminded of a nagging question since the last time I strayed from CW to PSK 31. I've read numerous places about setting the power level
(mine is a QRP K2) to five watts for continuous use like PSK.  Does that
mean five watts for single tone like CW, or five watts average as the two
tones warble back and forth?  I'm using a WM-2 wattmeter in the output.
Running about 10 watts single tone, I get about five watts warbling and a
single ALC bar flickering.  Is this okay, or should I back it down to five
watts single tone? I thought this question might be of interest to a wider
audience.

Parker

WD8JOL  K2 #2636

...back to work tomorrow, and peace for Don.