Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 20:54:29 -0500
From: "Don Wilhelm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] Frequency counters for Alignment
To: "Ken Kopp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ron D'Eau Claire"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "'Elecraft Discussion List'"
<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>

Ken and all,

What you say is true - but you can detect the transmitted tones sent by WWV
with great accuracy.  See http://tf.nist.gov/stations/iform.html#stdf for
innformation about what tones are transmitted at what times.

With the audio of a SSB receiver fed into the computer soundcard, and the
computer running a program like Spectrogram, one can align the received
tones with properly set Spectrogram markers and when the transmitted tones
line up with the received tones, you can be certain that WWV is tuned
precisely.  This is actually more accurate than trying to listen for the
carrier at zero frequency - neither the receiver audio nor the human ear can
respond to zero frequency, and attempt to do so may be off by +/-30 Hz or
more - detecting the tones with a graphic display will allow you to tune
within a few Hz.

73,
Don W3FPR