Dave - You Wrote:

"But I can't help thinking that feeding the pole from the top would be workable and perhaps more efficient: I've seen this done with a beam and tower arrangement in which the beam is isolated from the tower and an auto tuner fitted between."

Yes that would work. I was not quite envisioning what you were asking. a relay to short the vertical to the radial field and then feeding that against the pole would work, perhaps with some added capacitance or inductance to make it all come out in the band you want. - Dr. Megacycle KK6MC/5