Keith:

I agree that typical DX propagation more commonly occurs at 25 degrees than 8. However, my situation is untypical. I'm trying to get single band 80M WAZ. The zones that I am missing, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, and 30 have one thing in common. They are all very far from Maine. My VOACAP simulations of 80 meter openings to these zones indicates that propagation occurs in the range 6-10 degrees. Thus an antenna that gives superior performance at 8 degrees is the more promising for enabling contacts with rare zones.

Some comparative results at 8 degrees on 80m are as follows:

My current setup: -6.3 dBi (Straight dipole 46 feet up running east-west, with one end bent down to fit on my lot) Force 12 at 1 foot above ground: -5.8 dBi (A $600+ antenna mounted low is not noticeably better than what I already have.) Force 12 at 15 feet above ground: -3.72 dBi (Almost 3 dB better than I have now. Worth $600? Maybe) Force 12 at 28 feet above ground: -3.09 dBi (The structure needed to get that extra 0.6 db might be pretty pricey) QW Vertical with 128 radials: -2.72 dBi (Gold standard: Hideously expensive and only marginally better than the high mounted Force 12) Inverted L kinked to fit on my lot: -1.79 dBi ( Cheap, but beats the the gold standard by a dB)
Two inverted Ls fed out of phase, configured to fit on my lot:  -0.15 dBi

I can build two inverted L dipoles for a lot less than the $600+ that a Force 12 costs and get 6dB better (towards the Far East) than what I have now. Providentially, I have tall trees in just the right places. Admittedly, my solution would not work for everybody.

73,

Steve
AA4AK