I did 10 of them last night. The solder blob method works fine. I found
the key is to have the soldering iron as hot as possible (wide open on
my Weller station) and keep feeding fresh solder to the blob as you
move along the lead. It takes about 3 seconds per lead. The enamel
bubbles away and sends up a nice plume of smoke that has an affinity
for nostrils. Someone mentioned that the fumes are carcinogenic. I hope
not, because I got a nose full.

-David W4SMT