I am curious about doing this sidetone mod on a K2 rev B. Elecraft changed the
sidetone circuit from serial number 3000 on, and wonder how effective the
sidetone mod is on a rev B K2. My K2 is serial # 5093.

The mod is described at
http://www.raunvis.hi.is/%7Ematti/TF3MA/sidetone_tf3ma.html

>From the schematic diagram it looks like L1 82mH is removed and inserted
between U10 pin 7 and C33. A new capacitor is then installed at the old L1
position. From the charts on the mod page it looks like about 1 uF would be
about right.

My L1 82 mH inductor has a DC resistance of 62 ohms. This is quite different
from the 180 ohm version used in the mod. Would a series resistor be desired
as Fred indicates in the message below? I have 100 ohm, 120 ohm, and 150 ohm
resistors on hand. Where is this resistor installed between U10 pin 7 and the
inductor or between the inductor and C33?

What type of capacitor would be best suited for this mod? My junk box only has
1 uF 100 V 5% metallized polyester or 2.2 uF 16 V 10% dipped tantalum
capacitors. The polyester caps are rather large. A couple of the 2.2s in
series would be 1.1 uF.

Comments and recommendations?

Darrell  VA7TO  K2#5093

--