> Why don't you just build a K1 instead?
> I have a Sierra here with all 9 band modules. It is a fine rig, although
> it needed various add-ons (DL-QRP-PA, KC2 Keyer/Counter) to make it nice
> to use.
> If I was starting again, I would get a K1
> 73, Dave G3VGR
> K2 #4783

I have built both the K1 and Sierra kits.  Advantages of Sierra are all 9
bands and ease of operation.  No manual needed for this non digital radio.
These are the radios I prefer to operate.  No thinking necessary.  And you
ger a real RF gain control.  It  is actually an RF cut control but it does
control the imput to the IF filter, unlike most modern radios.  I think all
other advantages go to the K1.  Over twice the power.  Many Sierra owners do
mods to increase the power, with more or less sucess.  Increasing the
voltage to max is the easiest.  The K1 has optional internal tuner.  The
tuning rate is far better.  At least twice as good.  And tuning is smoother.
And with my kits, the K1 has been more stable.  The conversion schemes for
both are similar so I don't think there should be much preformance
difference.  If you build the Sierra, there are over 80 toroids to wind if
all bands are included.   If the Sierra had the K1 VFO and 5 watts out, I
probably would prefer it to the K1, for home use, but it doesn't so I sold
mine and kept the K1.
Rick Dettinger
K7MW