Those who have both an Elecraft N-Gen and a KX1 have everything needed
except the bridge elements to construct and use a relatively compact version
of that Improved Noise Bridge described by John Grebenkemper in that August
1989 QST article.

The N-gen is the noise source and the KX1 can serve as the detector - listen
for the null.  Of course, it is easy to construct the noise generator, so
those with only a portable receiver like the KX1 can have an accurate
impedance meter once it is calibrated.

Detectors other than a receiver can also be used - an AD8307 based power
meter should work just fine and fit into a small case.

The 'disadvantage' of the noise bridge is there are two knobs to deal with,
but when a deep null is achieved one can read both the resistive and the
reactive component of the unknown impedance.

73,
Don W3FPR