Many thanks to those who took the time to analyze and then reply to my problem.

Most suggested a problem with Q2 on the display board, or an issue around pin 40 on the large IC. After the build, I had checked the board at least three times before I fired it up, and yet, wouldn't you know it, I somehow skipped soldering pin 40 of the IC!
Right at the edge of the RIT LED, the pin was unsoldered, plain as day.
A quick tap with the trust Weller iron and a dab of solder put things right. Now the RIT only works when it is turned on, and the Green LED is illuminated!

Lesson learned, those 3AM assembly sessions sometimes cause one to overlook the obvious!

Many thanks to W3MC (say did I buy a T368 from you years back?), KD3JF, W2LJ, Don, Mike and Jozef for their replies.
Also to Gary at Elecraft for his tips.

I am really just so impressed with the performance of this rig, small size, but very hot RX, look forward to the transmit side. As a new Elecraft builder, I have been delighted with the great service by the good folks at Elecraft. Lisa is always very helpful and cheerful when I call, and gets things right out so I have projects for the weekend! I was born too late for the Heathkit phase, but really feel that the Elecraft kits are a great replacement. Superb building instructions, photos! of the various components, and even a brief circuit description at the end of the manual, far exceeded my expectations!

Given that the coast of Maine looks to be hit by a nice Nor'Easter tomorrow and Saturday, I should have plenty of time to find you guys with the now working K1! (or start on the new K2 kit) I just finished the K1 internal antenna tuner this evening, so we should be ready to go.

73 Bruce W1UJR
www.w1ujr.net